What  is the first step?

Usually a couple wishing to get married should approach the Methodist Minister of the church at which they wish to be married.

The Minister will also explain the necessity to visit the Register Office. Wherever the marriage is to take place, the Registrar’s assistance is essential for a legal marriage to take place.

One of us is divorced. Is that OK?

This may not be a bar to a wedding taking place in a Methodist church. The best advice is to speak to the local minister or the Superintendent Minister

The Methodist Church is generally willing to marry people who have been divorced while their previous spouse is still alive, as long as there are not major obvious reasons why it would be inappropriate to do so. There are a very few Ministers who will never marry someone who has been divorced, but such a Minister will refer the couple to a Minister who is willing to marry divorced people.


Does one of us have to be a Methodist?

People wanting to marry in church don’t have to be members of the church, but most Ministers will ask them why they wish to marry in church. A church marriage is a solemn Christian ceremony, with prayers and Bible readings reflecting Christian understandings of what marriage is about. Whilst people wishing to marry in a Methodist church do not need to be church members, most ministers will look for a genuine desire on the part of a couple to take their marriage seriously along the lines set out in the service. Discussing what this means in practice will be part of the marriage preparation.

What if we are from two different denominations?

Many marriages in Methodist Churches (and many couples marrying in Methodist Churches) include people from different Christian denominations. Where two people from different church traditions marry, it is quite common for ministers from both Churches to take part in the ceremony. This is welcomed. Sometimes, people from different faiths (non-Christian) marry – and there is advice available for such marriages.

The first point of contact are the Circuit Ministers

Alternatively, the Senior Stewards at your local church will arrange for a Minister to contact you

Use the website contact form and your email will be sent on to one of the Ministers